Tuesday, February 26, 2008

New Goodies!

I woke up this morning fairly convinced I should delete yesterday's entry and hold off on this whole blog thing until I had something impressive to show everyone - and let's face it, that could take decades! But I got the most wonderful feedback from Michele over at X Marks My Spot in an email this morning. She has been kind enough to email back and forth with me for a few weeks now, answering all my questions and giving me a lot of support and information. And this morning she said wonderful things about my new blog and has convinced me to press on!

Yesterday I got 3 new charts in the mail from my LNS ( a place I've actually never stepped foot in). These are the first charts I've ever purchased outside of kit form. I've only ever been to Michaels and JoAnns for cross-stitch supplies, but Michele talked me into branching out. And, since I still don't have the guts to go visit a shop in person, I ordered the charts online. My heart was aflutter when they arrived yesterday!

"Peach Tree Cottage" from LHN, "Gingerbread Cottage" from CCN, and "Have Faith" from Elizabeth's Needlwork Designs
(Please forgive the poor lighting. It's overcast and snowy here today. I couldn't get good lighting inside so I took them out to the back porch, and that was only a little better)

I'm not ready to start these just yet. I want to work them on linen like they call for and I have no experience stitching on linen. So I'll put them aside until I've done a few small projects on linen to test the waters. But they are so lovely, it makes me anxious to get to work!

I need a user-picture. It seems like many people use pictures of their work for their user-pic. I feel like I don't have anything suitable for that. Maybe I can find a small project for that purpose.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi Kim -

Welcome to the blogging community. You're going to love it here! And for a newbie, you already have quite a command of the language and you've done some beautiful work, so I think you'll be just fine.

I started out much the same way you did - pre-kitted things from Michaels and Joanns, then graduated to my LNS and experimenting with all kinds of things. In a very short time, you'll be well versed in all kinds of techniques, flosses and fibers. Just remember this should always be something you enjoy, so if you start to get frustrated or if you get stuck, call out for help and someone will always take the time to walk you through it.

And stitching over 2 isn't nearly as hard as it looks. I was intimidated at first too, but once you get the hang of it, it's so easy. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Hi Kim! I found your blog through Michele's and I'm so glad I did, I really like the *voice* of your blog.

Just had to jump in with my 2 cents... for the longest time I didn't have an LNS nearby so I went to Michaels, AC Moore, and ebay for my supplies. It is SO much better to go to real life store and see what you're buying... and it's so fun to walk in and be completely surrounded by projects you'd like to stitch! Don't be scared of your LNS, stitchers are mostly cool, friendly people. And if they're not cool, just don't tell them your real name. ;-)