Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Dreaded LNS

I did it! Today I went to my LNS for the very first time! I was very nervous - would I become intimidated and overwhelmed? At least I had a practice-run when I went to a needlework shop in Illinois where my sister lives - somewhere I didn't have to worry as much about what kind of an impression I made since I wasn't going to be a regular. This was even better, though! The shop space was much bigger so I could actually peruse the inventory without being stared at by the employee(s) and without digging through piles of stuff. It was a very nice shop! And since I have spent the last few months perusing the world of ONS and getting help from all of you wonderful stitchers, I mostly knew what I was looking at at any given time and didn't feel overwhelmed or entirely ignorant :)

DH tricked me to get me there. He said he needed me to go so I could show him things I might want so he knew what to get me for Mother's Day. Only when I got there and I was pointing out all the goodies they have that are on my wish-list did he tell me he had already ordered stuff online from my wish-list. He said he knew I was nervous to go for the first time so he decided to manipulate me into going. Isn't he sweet? :)

I did walk away with a few scraps of linen and evenweave that were all $1 a piece and I knew I could use for smalls of various types. And I also walked away with a new chart - the last thing I needed since I've got several projects waiting in the wings already and BeckySC has been much too kind and is sending me charts for free that she is finished with. But I couldn't help myself. I'm sure I've bit off more than I can chew with this one but I just couldn't stop myself. Anyone who knows me knows Christmas is my very favorite time of year. I've become obsessed with the idea of making stockings for my children that they will (in my idealist mind) treasure every year for all the hard work their dear mother put into making those beloved Christmas keepsake stockings of their's. I am infatuated with the whimsy and sweetness of the Shepherd's Bush stockings and I think Harry's Stocking is perfect for my little Cuddle Bug. So today when I saw the chart at my LNS - I had to have it. This may very well be much too adventurous a project for me but I guess you can't know without trying. I don't have the fabric for it or anything, so I won't be starting it right away. But ideally I would love for it to be finished by Christmas. We shall see.

13 comments:

Michele said...

I love SB's stockings! I don't think it's more than you can handle. It's a big piece but you'll do great :)

Melissa said...

I think you'll do great with the SB stocking. It's really not too bad at all. I've done 4 and am working on my 5th. You can do it!!!

Kathy said...

Good job going to the LNS. I am glad your DH tricked you into going. Now we will not be able to keep you away. LOL. I had discussed your concerns with my LNS owner. She said for you to come to our shop and you would feel comfortable.

SB stockings seem to be fairly easy. I think they are all on 18-ct linen over 2 so that makes it an easier stitch. Good luck with it. The end product is awesome.

mercy said...

You're gonna love working on that SB stocking, especially since it's for someone you love. I stitched one for my goddaughter and loved it :-) They stitch up quick and are so gorgeous once they're made up!

Nicki said...

Well done!! I'm glad you went and enjoyed yourself. And even bought a few things! I'm sure you'll be fine with the stocking. They looks so cute - it'll be a fun stitch.

And a belated congratultions on the Prairie Schooler ornament :)

Sally said...

I am so gald you went to your LNs. You have a fantastic DH there to trick you into going because he knew how nervous you were.

I think you'll do fantastic with the SB stocking. I've never stitched one but I have stitched some SB pieces and they are really nice to stitch.

Jacque said...

Good on your husband....you needed to do it!

I think the SB stocking is a great choice. Like everyone before me has said, they stitch up fairly quickly, but they do seem to use a lot of pearl cotton. The 18 ct. is nice and big to work on and I don't think you'll regret a moment of it. As fast as you are, you'll have it done in a month's time!

Melissa said...

Kim, I posted pictures on my blog today of the 4 stockings that I finished. Please excuse the wrinkles. Also, if you would email me, I might be able to help you out on the fabric. rymero@madisontelco.com

Linen Stitcher said...

There's no stopping you now, Kim! Glad you enjoyed your *first* trip to your LNS (emphasis on first, LOL!). I'm guessing it won't be long before you're a regular there!!

Good luck with the stocking!!

Sue said...

You have a sweet hubby. Glad you enjoyed the LNS. Those SB stocking stitch up quickly, so don't be overwhelmed ;)

Terry said...

That sounds like a great first run to the LNS. You'll be a regular in no time! Very sweet of the DH!

Lelia said...

Going to the LNS is like vacation. Honestly, it is usually a fun thing! Sounds like you selected some awesome projects : )

Anonymous said...

Yay... glad you went to the LNS and had a nice time! I have experienced unfriendly shops, and it's no fun at all but they aren't all like that thank goodness :)