Friday, April 18, 2008

Plate-Tectonics

Let's just set the record straight. I'm from Arizona. I lived in Arizona from the time I was only a few months old until 11 months ago. It's all I had ever really known. We have "natural disasters" in AZ, sure. But mostly just forest fires and flash flooding. So if you live around a city and you haven't built you house in a low lying area near a river bed, you're pretty much safe and sound as far as Mother Nature is concerned. Imagine my shock when DH discloses to me after we move to St. Louis that there are several fault lines around this part of the country and there are earthquakes! Tornadoes, earthquakes, floods... That is just not right!

Last night at 4:35 AM we woke up to a rumbling noise and our bed shaking - no - the whole house shaking! I was petrified! I prayed silently until it was over. DH says "I think we just had an earthquake!" Okay - not funny! Cuddle Bug woke up. We were all awake. The news chimed in with a report of a magnitude 5.6 earthquake with the epicenter about 150 miles from us. Now they're saying it was a 5.2. Either way, any movement of the ground is too much in my book! Then we felt another one this morning at about 10:15 - this time a 4.6 according to reports. I'm ready to pack up and head back to AZ where the land is dry, yes, but it doesn't move and that's good for me!

I'm hoping to get a start on a new project today. I should have pictures of that as soon as I can get the time to put needle to fabric. It's been a very busy week around here!

And thank you all for your wonderful comments on my needle roll! So many of you said things like "I knew you could do it!" and that you liked the design I put together! It made me feel so good! The tutorial was wonderful and it was much easier to do than I expected once I got started on it. You are all so kind!!

9 comments:

DaisyGirl said...

I'd have been upset too, GA nev er has earthquakes, well, at least none where I live! Good luck on your new project!
Donna

Sue said...

Yikes! I wouldn't be comfortable in earthquake territory. I'm glad I live in a "no earthquake" zone ;)

Melissa said...

WOW!!! I didn't realize that you live near St. Louis. I do too. I've been reading your blog for awhile. I live about 30 minutes from St. Louis in Illinois. We also felt the earthquake, both the 1st one and the aftershocks. I was shocked. I've lived here off and on almost all of my life and never felt one before.

Kendra said...

The 3 natural events you mentioned...tornadoes, floods, and earthquakes...we've had all 3 in our area since the start of 2008. We don't usually run the gamut of natural disasters in the span of 4 months, though.

Ain't the Midwest fun?? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Yikes, that sounds scary, especially to someone who has never had to deal with any of the horrors you mention!
Thank YOU for inspiring me to do a needleroll some day soon.

Janet said...

Whoah!!! Terrifying. I'm glad you are all O.K. I'd want to pack up and run too. Stay safe

mainely stitching said...

I also prefer to live in no-natural-disaster zones. We live now in the Netherlands, which has had some of the worst flooding - but not where we live. And I'm from Maine, which just has long, cold, snowy winters.

Tornadoes especially freak me out. Yikes!

Dawn T. said...

The ground moving beneath me would totally freak me out! I am glad you are all safe:)

Sally said...

So glad you're safe Kim. We rarely get earthquakes here in the UK but not long ago we were woken in the night by the whole house shaking. I was terrified! The epicentre was about 60 miles south.