Friday, May 23, 2008

What Was I Thinking?

I started a new project today - one not included among my May goals. I just needed to get away from the on-going PS blocks and finish a chart from my stash. I picked the "Love and Faithfulness" thread pack since I've had it for a while and figured it wouldn't take a long time to complete. Maybe I can even get it finished and still meet all of my May goals.

But I decided to stitch this 1/1 on 30 ct linen. Do you ever have a brilliant stitching idea and then get started and think "What on earth was I thinking?!" That's how I'm feeling right about now. I'm not convinced my hearts really look like hearts. Any thoughts? It's just that linen isn't consistent so I'm thinking that stitching this over 1 makes my shapes look inconsistent. What do you all think? I'm going to carry on with it. If I like it enough, I will make it into an ornament for DH's cousin who is getting married in October. If it's not perfect enough in my eyes to be gifted, I will make it an ornament for our Christmas tree. Either way, I'm carrying on with it.


The colors in this picture are totally off. Artificial lighting just does nothing for stitching photographs. And the wrinkles make my square look like it's been hit with a few shopping carts in the parking lot of my local grocery store. I promise, it's square in real life :)

Thanks for any comments or advice you have!

7 comments:

Kathy said...

Oh, Kim you are now a true stitcher when you start something new when you really needed to work on something else.

There is a trick to stitching over one. Because sometimes stitches tend to want to disappear behind the thread you just went over. My LNS/designer has taught me a special way to stitch and I do it now on everything. It is almost impossible for me to tell you in writing how to do it. She has some instructions written up that we have used to assist stitchers. Basically all your threads on the back should be either up and down or straight across, no diagonal lines.

I am going out of town in the morning for a week or I would go to the shop and get the written instructions and mail them to you. Stitching in the way I do now, the stitches are more square and don't end up having a little bit of pulled or diagonal look.

This is the best I can tell you right now. Stitching over one looks awesome, but can be a real pain to do. I don't know how all the bloggers that I read do so much of it.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance. I will be glad to help more when I return from vacation.

mainely stitching said...

I think your hearts look fine, but some designs do not lend themselves well to over-one stitiching. I know because I've tried to do it - LOL! Good luck!

Dawn T. said...

I think it looks great! I have found that when I stitch 1/1 I prefer to use evenweave instead of linen.

BeckySC said...

I think it looks just fine and I can see that they are hearts :)
Have a great weekend, Kim :)

hugs :)

Sonda said...

I think your stitching looks great. The hearts look like hearts! All of your work is looking wonderful.

Nicki said...

I think the hearts look great :) I can see they are hearts and LHN designs are perfect for over one.

You're right - linen is more uneven so maybe not quite as neat for over one as evenweave, but it still works fine :)

Terry said...

Your hearts look great! You are doing just fine over one, although you are braver than I stitching over one on 30ct, LOL..Can't wait to see more.